Monday, October 15, 2012

J/70s Sailing in the Southwest!

J/70 one-design sailboat- sailing upwind(Houston, TX)-  New J/70 owner Dr. Bruce McDonald has this to say about his most recent experience on the water:  "Thanks to all of you who helped to bring about a fun weekend of fantastic sailing.  I can’t even vaguely remember any time in my 60+ year history of sailing when I have had so much fun and came in DFL.  Normally, such a finish would have me tucking my tail and slinking away.  I will need Dr. Crash or maybe Dr. Romberg to explain why I have such joy over something which should be so painful.  Such great talent to help me on my way. You guys are the best!!!

All I know is that I want to keep doing it as much as possible, with the possible exception of coming in last.  Maybe it will be less painful next time.  The paradox has at least brought clarity to the naming of the boat after a Greek goddess.   Thanks again, Bruce- J/70 #50, Dyspareunia"

Said local J/Boats Southwest dealer, Scott Spurlin, "Bruce was in a pack of well-sailed J/80's and Melges 24's.  The rating was 6 sec. faster then the J/80 and he finished boat for boat ahead of a few of them but lost on corrected time.  9 races.  All in wind conditions that the J/70 couldn't quite plane, but high enough to keep the J/80's moving fast downwind.

Bruce is a retired surgeon, long time sailor and took delivery of #50 last week.  He called me tonight as well.  Went on all about the attention he received, how the boat handled, what fun he had, etc. Totally addicted! He said that back at the club he was mobbed.  Couldn't get away, and was loving every minute of it!"  Nice to hear those kinds of stories every once in awhile!